Roasted Root Vegetables
- ½ lb carrots
- ½ lb potatoes
- 1/2 lb yellow onions
- 1/2 lb parsnips
- 4 cloves garlic
- to taste olive oil
- to taste salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel carrots and parsnips. Chop all vegetables into 1-2-inch size pieces.
- Place chopped vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast vegetables for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take a spatula and stir vegetables while flipping over some. Roast for another 20 minutes.
- Once vegetables are done cooking, top with fresh ground black pepper. Enjoy!
Getting to the Root of It!
Root vegetables are at their peak during these cool fall and winter months, making them a fantastic and fresh addition to any meal. Root vegetables include carrots, potatoes, onions, radishes, garlic, turnips and more! The root part of these vegetables stores the nutrients and water for the rest of the growing plant, making the root part of the plant very healthy for humans. Root vegetables are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
While you may cook root vegetables in an assortment of ways, it is hard to go wrong with roasting them. Roasting root vegetables allows the sweetness and the flavor to flourish in this delicious group of vegetables.