Mediterranean Bean Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic and pepper.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the dressing.
- Chop the fresh parsley, slice the grape tomatoes in half, and add both to the bowl with the beans and dressing.
- Mix together and then sprinkle the feta on top. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
FEBRUARY NUTRITION NOTES
Meatless Monday started as a campaign to encourage fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans to be the star of your plate instead of meat. While meats such as chicken, fish and lean beef have many health benefits, having a plant-based source of protein once a week can improve your health!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states that vegetarian and even partial vegetarian diets have numerous health benefits for all ages, such as lowered blood pressure and decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. The nice thing about Meatless Monday is that it is not an all or nothing approach. You can still have your favorite meats throughout the rest of the week, while having a wholesome plant-based meal on Monday.
Next time you find yourself wondering what to make for dinner, try to make whole grains, beans or legumes be the main component of your plate!