Summer Solstice Salad
- 3 ½ cups micro arugula
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup corn cut off the cob or canned
- ½ bunch asparagus
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Rinse and dry microgreens. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, mint, garlic, and a pinch of black pepper. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Trim ends off of asparagus. Lightly coat spears with olive oil and cook on medium heat in a non-stick skillet, 6-7 minutes or until desired tenderness. Once asparagus is cooked and lightly cooled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Assemble the salad by combining microgreens, corn, asparagus, blackberries and pine nuts in a large bowl. Add salad dressing. Toss well and serve immediately!
MAY NUTRITION NOTES
Microgreens are a type of lettuce or herb that are harvested young. These refreshing greens can add a lot of flavor and nutrients to your meals. While there is a wide variety of microgreens, they all provide a great source of antioxidants and phytochemicals, which can help prevent chronic disease and certain types of cancers. Another great benefit of microgreens is that they are one of the easiest types of produce to grow yourself! All you will need are your seeds, container with potting soil, and a sunny spot for the microgreens to grow. Did you know that the greenhouse on The Reservation grows microgreens? These tiny nutrient powerhouses may be a new and upcoming addition to our daily meals!